Thursday, February 13, 2014

BERRY SWEET; A VALENTINE'S DAY COBBLER


I am in love... with many, many things... however I have this fascination with pie crust cutters... they come in the cutest shapes, usually a box of four has some sort of theme to it, which I enjoy.  I use these little gems to cut shapes out of the pie dough, giving the pie a really finished look. They are darling, and mine all have little plungers that give the cut out dimension... I wonder each new holiday season, what will the next box be like (high drama).  I am ashamed to tell you how many I have collected since discovering them..(more than a few, but less than 50). To be fair, I use them regularly, so it's a worthwhile investment... plus I LOVE them... I think I may have mentioned that.

I have purchased them at specialty grocery and baking stores in the baking department, at gift shops, and most often at Williams-Sonoma.
For a link to the latest
pie dough cutters at Williams-Sonoma click here.
As an aside, while I have never tried to use them with sugar cookies, I bet they would be adorable as petite shortbread or sugar cookies for a tea party... more uses....

I made this a top-crust only, berry-sweet cobbler last night for dessert.  My family was Oooh-ing and awing over it, I thinks it's been awhile since I baked a cobbler.

I used blueberries, blackberries, frozen raspberries (fresh is fine, I just had frozen available) and a handful of fresh sliced strawberries.  I had about three cups or so of washed and drained berries.  It was just enough to fill a pie plate.

Using pie dough, I cut out the cutest valentine hearts... no bottom crust for this cobbler, which worked out perfectly fine and saved us from a few extra calories... to which I quickly added with a healthy scoop of vanilla ice cream.  I really don't think I could enjoy the cobbler as much without the ice cream... I could try... but wow, the ice cream and warm berries with a little heart pie crust cut out... it was almost too much... perfect dessert to share with my sweethearts.
 Pie dough blog post, Perfect Pie Crust 101 click here
 
 Click here for the Berry-Sweet, berry cobbler printable recipe
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment